Over 587,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UNHCR
Beirut: The number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon has surpassed 587,000 after an increase of 19,000 in the past week, according to the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR).
The UN agency pointed out in a report that there were 503,000 registered refugees while more than 84,000 others were still waiting for their registration process to complete, Xinhua reported Saturday.
Some 178,000 Syrian refugees were registered in northern Lebanon, 170,000 in the eastern Bekaa region, 92,000 in Beirut and Mount Lebanon, and 62,000 in southern Lebanon, it said while stressing that the refugees are provided with humanitarian help and medical care.
Lebanon has been calling on the UN Security Council and International donors to help it bear the burden of hosting the Syrian refugees, who are expected to cross one million in number by the year-end.
Lebanese President Michel Suleiman Friday sounded alarm on his country`s inability to cope with the rampant spate of displaced Syrians and their massive influx`s repercussions.
UNHRC`s Antonio Guterres said last month that the number of refugees in Lebanon has surpassed 25 percent of its population and that they were a huge burden on Lebanese government and people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video