Over 625,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UNHCR
Beirut: Over 625,000 Syrian refugees are receiving aid in Lebanon, the UN refugee agency has said.
With the recent increase of 13,000 registered Syrian refugees with the UN office in Lebanon, the number of registered refugees is now more than 530,000, Xinhua cited the UNHCR as saying.
Over 95,000 refugees are still waiting for their registration process to be completed.
Lebanon has called on the UN Security Council and international donors to help it bear the burden of hosting the Syrian refugees, whose number may hit one million by the end of this year.
UNHCR chief Antonio Guterres said last month that the number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon had surpassed 25 percent of its own population and was inflicting a huge burden on the Lebanese government and people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender