Over 625,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UNHCR
Beirut: Over 625,000 Syrian refugees are receiving aid in Lebanon, the UN refugee agency has said.
With the recent increase of 13,000 registered Syrian refugees with the UN office in Lebanon, the number of registered refugees is now more than 530,000, Xinhua cited the UNHCR as saying.
Over 95,000 refugees are still waiting for their registration process to be completed.
Lebanon has called on the UN Security Council and international donors to help it bear the burden of hosting the Syrian refugees, whose number may hit one million by the end of this year.
UNHCR chief Antonio Guterres said last month that the number of Syrian refugees in Lebanon had surpassed 25 percent of its own population and was inflicting a huge burden on the Lebanese government and people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror