Over 700 Iraqis killed in April: UN
United Nations: A total of 712 people were killed in violence across Iraq in April, bringing the country`s death toll from violence to its highest level since June 2008, said a UN statement.
According to latest figures released by the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), another 1,633 others were wounded in acts of terrorism and violence throughout Iraq, Xinhua reported.
"The month of April was the deadliest since June 2008," the statement said.
A total of 595 killed and 1,438 injured were civilians, whereas 117 members of the Iraqi security forces were killed and 195 were injured.
Baghdad was the worst affected, with a total of 697 civilian casualties, followed by Diyala, Salahuddin, Kirkuk, Ninewa and Anbar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?