Over 80 killed in superstorm Sandy, 4 mn without power
New York: Superstorm Sandy left a trail of bodies and wreckage on the densely-populated US East Coast, claiming over 80 lives and sparking burglaries in flooded neighbourhoods as nearly 4 million Americans still struggled without power and communication.
Neighbourhoods in New York and New Jersey were still water-logged, with rescue workers pulling out bodies from wreckage, as the death toll rose to over 80 in the country.
Among those killed in the natural disaster, 37 were from New York City alone, 8 were from New Jersey and 4 from Connecticut.
"Superstorm Sandy killed at least 37 people in New York," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.
More than 3.75 million people entered a third day without electricity, the New York Times reported.
New York`s Governor Andrew M Cuomo said initial damage estimates "project up to USD 6 billion in lost economic revenue", in the State.
The death toll seemed certain to rise as rescuers checked basements that had flooded, trapping homeowners inside. The wall of water driven ashore by the storm even flooded three police stations, two in Brooklyn and one in the Rockaway section of Queens.
Fifteen people in the Far Rockaway section of Queens and nine in Coney Island were charged with burglary and other offenses in connection with looting at stores, taking advantage of the natural calamity which hit the region on Monday.
Among them was a 29-year-old woman who faced a weapons charge "after the safe she was carrying from a store was found to contain a firearm," Paul J Browne, the chief spokesman for the Police Department, said.
A wide stretch of Lower Manhattan remained dark, as did the Jersey Shore, waterfront neighbourhoods in Brooklyn and Queens, and most of Long Island.
But the first section of Manhattan that lost power on Monday night, after an explosion and fire at a substation on East 14th Street, had its lights turned back on, an energy company executive said.
In New Jersey, executives at Public Service Electric and Gas Company said 900,000 customers were still without power, down from a peak of 1.7 million on Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation?
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi