Over 8,000 violent acts in Netherlands on New Year`s Eve
The Hague: A total of 8,094 acts of assault, vandalism, arson and violence were reported in the Netherlands on New Year`s Eve, according to the Ministry of Security and Justice.
Although the number of incidents was lower than that reported last year, Security and Justice Minister Ivo Opstelten termed the incidents "unacceptable", Xinhua said.
Last year, 8,457 incidents were reported nationwide.
Around 1,000 people were arrested across the country.
The number of incidents against aid workers -- police, fire brigade and ambulance personnel -- declined from 110 last year to 74 this year.
"The number of incidents like assault, vandalism, arson and violence against aid workers is still unacceptably high," Opstelten said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra