Over a million illegal immigrants in UK: Report
London: A study carried out by the British think tank Migrationwatch has claimed that over a million illegal immigrants are living in the country.
The Sun quoted the study as saying that this figure is double of the previous estimate, and added that it equals the population of Birmingham.
The study warned that if the Gordon Brown government approves the proposed amnesties, this number could double when spouses and dependants are allowed in.
Previous studies by the Home Office and London School of Economics estimated that 618,000 lived in Britain.
Migrationwatch Chairman Sir Andrew Green said "a serious attempt" is needed to resolve the situation, which could take years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof