Over a million illegal immigrants in UK: Report
London: A study carried out by the British think tank Migrationwatch has claimed that over a million illegal immigrants are living in the country.
The Sun quoted the study as saying that this figure is double of the previous estimate, and added that it equals the population of Birmingham.
The study warned that if the Gordon Brown government approves the proposed amnesties, this number could double when spouses and dependants are allowed in.
Previous studies by the Home Office and London School of Economics estimated that 618,000 lived in Britain.
Migrationwatch Chairman Sir Andrew Green said "a serious attempt" is needed to resolve the situation, which could take years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends