Over a million illegal immigrants in UK: Report
London: A study carried out by the British think tank Migrationwatch has claimed that over a million illegal immigrants are living in the country.
The Sun quoted the study as saying that this figure is double of the previous estimate, and added that it equals the population of Birmingham.
The study warned that if the Gordon Brown government approves the proposed amnesties, this number could double when spouses and dependants are allowed in.
Previous studies by the Home Office and London School of Economics estimated that 618,000 lived in Britain.
Migrationwatch Chairman Sir Andrew Green said "a serious attempt" is needed to resolve the situation, which could take years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!