Over lakh of Chinese children adopted overseas
Beijing: More than one lakh Chinese-born orphans and children with physical disabilities have been adopted by overseas parents over the last three decades, a government official said here.
Overseas adoption has become an important channel to find homes for orphaned and disabled children, Minister of Civil Affairs Li Liguo said during a ceremony held for 130 US families and 200 adopted children who came back to China to "seek their roots”.
Li said that the adoption system has improved constantly in recent years, with an increasingly mature legal system and expanding social impact.
China has cemented adoption agreements with 138 government bodies and children`s organisations in 17 countries.
"Finding a family for the children does not mean the end of the government`s work. The nation`s care for these children will last throughout their growth," Li said.
Most of the 200 children who attended the ceremony were adopted from children`s welfare centre in the city of Chongqing and the provinces of Guangdong, Hunan, Anhui and Fujian, according to the China Centre for Children`s Welfare and Adoption.
The students will visit the cities of Beijing, Xi`an, Chengdu and Guilin with their parents during their 10-day visit, which is being financed by the Chinese government in a bid to encourage more adopted children to return to the country and familiarise themselves with their native culture, Xinhua reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened