Over two million children hit by Syrian conflict: UNICEF
Geneva: More than two million children have been affected by the violence, massive population displacement and damage to infrastructure and essential services in Syria, UNICEF said on Tuesday.
It said that in areas where fighting was most intense, access to water had fallen by two-thirds, while one in five schools had been destroyed, damaged or was being used to shelter displaced families, Xinhua reported.
Children were suffering the trauma of seeing family members and friends killed, while being terrified by the sounds and scenes of conflict, the report said.
UNICEF said its assistance efforts to affected Syrian children were being threatened by a critical shortage of funding.
In December 2012, the UN agency had appealed for $195 million for life-saving assistance for Syrian children and their families. To date, the appeal is less than 20 percent funded, it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM