Overloading, pilot error downed NY helicopter: US
New York: US safety authorities say a fatal crash at a New York City heliport in 2011 was likely due to overloading and the pilot`s failure to recover from an unexpected flight motion.
Three people suffered fatal injuries when the helicopter plunged into the East River shortly after takeoff.
The victims included a British woman, living in Australia, who was in New York to celebrate her 40th birthday. Her mother and domestic partner also died.
The pilot was a family friend who survived.
The National Transportation Safety Board said in a report Friday that the helicopter was at least 12 kilograms overweight when it took off.
Investigators say the weight, wind factors and an ineffective pilot manoeuvre caused the aircraft to go into a spin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh