Oxford city to honour Myanmar`s Suu Kyi
London: Myanmar democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi will be honoured with the Freedom of the City award during her visit on Wednesday to Oxford, where she studied, married and lived for many years.
Freedom of the City is an honour bestowed on esteemed members of the local community.
Nelson Mandela is among a small number of people who have been so honoured previously by the Oxford City Council.
The Lord Mayor of Oxford, Councillor Alan Armitage, will present her with the Freedom of the City scroll at a ceremony at St Hugh`s College in Oxford.
The award, announced in 1997, was then received on her behalf by her son.
Councillor Armitage said: "Aung San Suu Kyi is a great hero to so many people, particularly in Oxford where she lived for many years.’She has mentioned her love of Oxford on frequent occasions, and it will be a great joy to present her with the certificate confirming the Freedom of the City which she was awarded nearly 15 years ago".
He added: "Her stalwart fight to bring freedom and democracy to her country, has been a model of peaceful progress despite all adversity, when all but a few of us would have given up in despair. We are proud of her association with our city and hope to strengthen the bonds between us during her visit."
Former Lord Mayor of Oxford, Bill Baker, who presented the Freedom of the City to her son in 1997, said: "It was a great honour to give this status to such a remarkable woman. I am delighted that she is now able to accept this honour in person."
On the same day, Suu Kyi will also accept the honorary doctorate in Civil Law announced by the ancient seat of learning, and deliver an address to the university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka