Oz launches rescue operations after 23 feared dead in ocean
Melbourne: At least 23 people were feared
dead after a boat carrying about 40 suspected asylum seekers
sank on Monday, 350 nautical miles north-west off of Australia in
the Indian Ocean, even as massive rescue operations have been
launched to search for possible survivors.
A giant LNG carrier is already at the scene and so far
17 people have been rescued from Indian Ocean, but it is
feared there were at least 40 suspected asylum seekers on
"All the efforts right now are legitimately dedicated
to attending to lives at risk at sea," Prime Minister Kevin
Rudd told reporters.
Earlier, AMSA spokeswoman Rhianne Robson said the crew
was still searching for survivors, but they held grave
concerns. "The LNG Pioneer is a large vessel and they are
trying their best with life rafts and their life boat to
recover those in the water," she was quoted as saying by ABC.
Australian Customs and Border Protection appears to
have taken control of the rescue effort. The boat sent out a
distress signal late last night and since then Australian
Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has been marshalling
resources at sea and in the air to find the survivors.
Medical director of RFDS in Western Australia, Stephen
Langford, said time is critical. "It`s a fairly urgent task
because there`s still people in the water and the weather is
not fantastic," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India