Oz, New Zealand restore diplomatic ties with Fiji
Melbourne: Australia and New Zealand on Monday agreed to restore full diplomatic ties with Fiji after the troubled Pacific Island nation assured that it will hold democratic elections in 2014.
The three countries will exchange High Commissioners again as Fiji moves towards elections in 2014, officials said.
The foreign ministers of Australia, Fiji and New Zealand - Bob Carr, Ratu Inoke Kubuabola and Murray McCully - met in Sydney today to discuss the elections, Sydney Morning Herald reported.
They agreed that the countries would exchange High Commissioners to "ensure channels of dialogue between the respective countries were open and effective", the ministers said in a joint statement.
Fiji expelled Australia`s High Commissioner James Batley in November 2009, and then in 2010 also expelled acting high commissioner Sarah Roberts. New Zealand`s High Commissioner was also forced to leave.
The three countries have maintained diplomatic relations, but at a minimal level, since then.
During the meeting Kubuabola provided an update on progress in Fiji towards the elections, including preparations for constitutional consultations and electronic voter registration.
Carr said he had raised concerns about media freedoms and human rights in the country but Kubuabola reiterated his government`s commitment that free, fair and inclusive elections could be held.
The three ministers agreed to consider more flexible implementation of travel sanctions on a case-by-case basis, Senator Carr said.
Relations have been strained between the countries since Fiji`s government was overthrown in 2006 by a military coup staged by Frank Bainimarama, now Fiji`s Prime Minister.
Fiji was subsequently suspended from the Pacific Islands Forum in 2009, with a contact group established to continue dialogue with the regime.
The foreign ministers said the reestablishment of diplomatic ties followed "positive momentum" generated by the contact group during a visit to Fiji earlier this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks