Oz spy agency part of encryption code cracking programme with NSA and GCHQ
Sydney: The classified documents leaked by whistleblower Edward Snowden indicate that apart from the US` NSA and the UK`s GCHQ, the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD)is also reportedly part of the bigger `snoop-op` in which these intelligence agencies cracked the encryption codes of tech giants to gather information.
Documents suggest that the ASD was expected to be granted access to the encryption code cracking under the umbrella Prism programme for gathering huge trail of internet users` data for government consumption.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the agencies referred to these secret hacking programs as ` Bullrun` and ` Edgehill` and the ASD was expected to be part of it.
The documents state that the data would be collected from Computer Network Exploitation (CNE) in collaboration with other intelligence agencies, investments in high performance computers and development of advanced mathematical techniques.
The report said that it was revealed earlier that the ASD is in a partnership with British, American and Singaporean intelligence agencies to tap undersea fibre-optic telecommunications cables carrying phone and internet traffic that link Asia, the Middle East and Europe.
The encryption technology is used to keep information safe on the internet and the secret documents revealed that the NSA invested billions of dollars since 2000 for developing powerful technology and using supercomputers to intercept nearly everyone`s secrets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS