Ozawa says he will stake political life on serving as leader
Tokyo: DPJ heavyweight Ichiro Ozawa has
said he would stake his political life on serving as the
nation`s leader, while PM Naoto Kan reiterated his resolve to
revitalise the economy by creating jobs, as the two contenders
sought to garner support in the party`s leadership race.
"I will strive to work for you by staking my entire
political life," Ozawa said in a joint event with Kan to give
campaign speeches in Tokyo`s Shinjuku district yesterday
Ozawa also said he is ready to fulfill duties as prime
minister, saying, "Japan`s prime minister will be chosen in
the (party) election. I should not avoid responsibility at a
time when the nation is facing great political and economic
Ozawa reiterated that he will bring about a shift of
control over decision-making to politicians from the country`s
bureaucrats to implement the pledges the DPJ made before its
lower house election victory a year ago.
In responding to Ozawa`s criticism over the way to
compile the fiscal 2011 budget, Kan, who is seeking
re-election as head of the party in the Sept 14 leadership
race, said in the joint event that he will come up with a
budget designed to boost the nation`s economy.
"I will definitely create jobs and compile the fiscal
2011 budget aimed at revitalizing the nation`s economy," Kan
He also pledged to improve cooperation between
politicians, bureaucrats and business to better serve the
It is the first weekend since official campaigning for
the party election began on Wednesday. Kan and Ozawa are
seeking to garner support from rank-and-file party members and
party supporters who will be eligible to vote in the election
in addition to 412 DPJ lawmakers and local assembly members
belonging to the party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion