P5 recognises Mongolia as atomic weapons free
United Nations: In a significant agreement, the five permanent members of the UN Security Council and Mongolia have signed a declaration reaffirming the atomic weapon free status of the country sandwiched between nuclear powers Russia and China.
Mongolia`s permanent representative to the UN Od Och signed the joint declaration yesterday with Britain, China, France, Russia and the US to reaffirm the nuclear-weapon-free status of Mongolia as well as their security assurance to the country.
Mongolia had declared itself free of nuclear weapons 20 years ago but being a landlocked country between Russia and China, it could not join a regional bloc free of weapons.
The P5 powers did not want to recognise a one-country nuclear weapons free zone. The agreement was reached after comprehensive talks between the parties here.
In a statement, UK`s Foreign Office Minister Alistair Burt welcomed the declaration by the P5 and by Mongolia as a "further contribution to global and regional peace and security."
"By endorsing this declaration, the P5 agree to respect the nuclear weapon free status of Mongolia and not to contribute to any act that would violate it," he said.
Burt added that it is important to establish greater trust between Nuclear and Non-Nuclear Weapon States and is actively contributing to efforts to reduce the number of nuclear weapons worldwide.
The declaration states that the P5 will "respect the nuclear weapon free status of Mongolia and not to contribute to any act that would violate it," Britain`s UN ambassador Mark Lyall Grant said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read