Package bomb at Greek Embassy in Paris
Paris: A package bomb sent to the Greek
Embassy in Paris was discovered by authorities and safely
disabled Monday, and caused no injuries or damages, an embassy
The package arrived with no external markings, prompting
suspicious embassy staff to call the police, the official
said. The embassy was evacuated for about 40 minutes.
French police discovered a low-power explosive device
inside, and detonated it under controlled conditions, the
official said. The official was not authorised to be publicly
The Greek Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying the
letter was delivered this morning to the embassy, listing the
ambassador as recipient. It said it did not list a sender, but
the indication was that it had been sent from Italy.
In Rome last week, a letter bomb exploded at the office
of a tax collection agency, wounding an official.
An Italian anarchist group claimed responsibility for the
bomb and for sending another explosive earlier in the week to
Deutsche Bank in Germany, which was intercepted.
Last year around Christmas, the anarchist group sent
package bombs to three embassies in Rome, injuring two people.
The recent incidents come amid strikes and widespread
public anger in both Italy and Greece over tough spending
cutbacks, aimed at helping governments bring down debts that
have threatened the shared euro currency and shaken markets
Greece`s finance minister said today that new spending
cuts are ahead but promised not to raise taxes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured