Package bomb at Greek Embassy in Paris
Paris: A package bomb sent to the Greek
Embassy in Paris was discovered by authorities and safely
disabled Monday, and caused no injuries or damages, an embassy
The package arrived with no external markings, prompting
suspicious embassy staff to call the police, the official
said. The embassy was evacuated for about 40 minutes.
French police discovered a low-power explosive device
inside, and detonated it under controlled conditions, the
official said. The official was not authorised to be publicly
The Greek Foreign Ministry issued a statement saying the
letter was delivered this morning to the embassy, listing the
ambassador as recipient. It said it did not list a sender, but
the indication was that it had been sent from Italy.
In Rome last week, a letter bomb exploded at the office
of a tax collection agency, wounding an official.
An Italian anarchist group claimed responsibility for the
bomb and for sending another explosive earlier in the week to
Deutsche Bank in Germany, which was intercepted.
Last year around Christmas, the anarchist group sent
package bombs to three embassies in Rome, injuring two people.
The recent incidents come amid strikes and widespread
public anger in both Italy and Greece over tough spending
cutbacks, aimed at helping governments bring down debts that
have threatened the shared euro currency and shaken markets
Greece`s finance minister said today that new spending
cuts are ahead but promised not to raise taxes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez