`Paedophile priests will go to hell`
Vatican City: The Vatican prosecutor of clerical sex abuse has warned perpetrators that they would suffer damnation in hell that would be worse than the death penalty.
The Rev Charles Scicluna, a Maltese priest who is a top official at the Vatican`s morality office, led a special "make amends" prayer service in St Peter`s Basilica yesterday.
Seminarians and other pontifical university students in Rome wanted to gather for prayers for the victims of clergy abuse and for the healing of the church`s wounds from the scandal over its concealment of abuse.
Quoting from a long passage from Gregory the Great, an early pope and monk who made rules for the clergy, Scicluna said in the case of a paedophile priest "it would be really better that his evil deeds cause him death in his lifetime" under secular laws than suffer "more terrible damnation" in hell.
Scicluna has been leading the Vatican`s drive to rid the church of paedophile priests. Many victims` groups say the Vatican must admit responsibility for a decades-old culture of secrecy and systematic cover-ups.
The Vatican official likened children to a "holy icon”, and decried what the world becomes when children are "abused, destroyed”.
"Don`t make children the object of your impure covetousness," Scicluna said to the priests.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes