`Pak-Afghan border epicentre of terrorism`
Washington: In the aftermath of the unearthing of a plot in which Pakistan-based terror groups were planning Mumbai-type attacks in Europe, a top US military official has said the militant outfits are seeking global reach, though the Afghan-Pak border area remains the "epicentre of terrorism".
"The reason we`re focussed on Afghanistan and Pakistan is that living in that border area are terrorists from various organisations ... and it`s become the epicentre of terrorism in the world," Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in a speech at the Texas A&M University.
"Several of those organisations, in addition to al Qaeda, now have global aspirations and are moving to a point of having global operational capacity. And they threaten us very specifically - the United States, Western interests, our European friends," Mullen said.
The top US military official specifically mentioned al Qaeda, as well as the Taliban entities that focus on Pakistan and Afghanistan, and LeT, a Pakistan-based terror organisation.
Keeping the pressure on the terrorist organisations now is critical, he said, adding that such measures include improving governance, education and economics in countries whose young people are becoming part of such groups.
"I don`t think we can kill our way through this. I think those conditions have to change and that`s a long-term challenge. That`s not going to happen overnight. But together with other countries -- responsible global powers -- we can make significant progress over time. That`s the long-term answer," he said.
His remarks came amid reports that terrorists based in Pakistan had been planning Mumbai-type attacks in European cities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!