Pak, China vow to boost up defence ties
Beijing: Pakistan and China on Tuesday vowed
to boost up collaboration in defence and counter-terrorism as
visiting Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani invited Chinese
defence industry to set up joint ventures in his country for
warships and fighters.
Counter-terrorism and defence cooperation dominated a
meeting between Chinese President Hu Jintao and Gilani and the
two sides agreed to enhance cooperation in countering threats
from terrorists and to work on a comprehensive strategy on
security related issues.
At the meeting Hu outlined a major project to upgrade
the Karakoram highway connecting the two countries overland
and Chinese help in the Neelam-Jhelum hydroelectric project in
the Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK).
"Howsoever, the international situation may change.
The people of China and Pakistan are always joined in hearts
and hands," the Chinese President said.
The Pakistani Prime Minister on his first visit to
China after taking over office is also scheduled to meet
Chinese premier Wen Jiabao and Jia Qinglin, head of China`s
top political advisory body.
Before meeting Hu, Gilani had a meeting with Chen
Qiufa, Administrator of China`s State Administration for
Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence
(SASTIND), where he called for enhancing defence ties.
"Pakistan was interested in the production of
defence-related equipment and setting up of local overhauling
facilities, and invited the Chinese companies to invest for
joint ventures in this regard," Gilani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Karan-Bipasha to appear on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Rains keep mercury near normal in several parts of country
- CBSE 10th Result 2016, CBSE Class 10th Results 2016, CBSE Class X Results 2016 to be declared on May 28; check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- UPA govt, LeT worked in tandem in Ishrat Jahan case: MoS Kiren Rijiju
- Dombivli factory blast: Death toll rises to 11, company management booked