Pak, China vow to boost up defence ties
Beijing: Pakistan and China on Tuesday vowed
to boost up collaboration in defence and counter-terrorism as
visiting Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani invited Chinese
defence industry to set up joint ventures in his country for
warships and fighters.
Counter-terrorism and defence cooperation dominated a
meeting between Chinese President Hu Jintao and Gilani and the
two sides agreed to enhance cooperation in countering threats
from terrorists and to work on a comprehensive strategy on
security related issues.
At the meeting Hu outlined a major project to upgrade
the Karakoram highway connecting the two countries overland
and Chinese help in the Neelam-Jhelum hydroelectric project in
the Pakistan-Occupied-Kashmir (PoK).
"Howsoever, the international situation may change.
The people of China and Pakistan are always joined in hearts
and hands," the Chinese President said.
The Pakistani Prime Minister on his first visit to
China after taking over office is also scheduled to meet
Chinese premier Wen Jiabao and Jia Qinglin, head of China`s
top political advisory body.
Before meeting Hu, Gilani had a meeting with Chen
Qiufa, Administrator of China`s State Administration for
Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence
(SASTIND), where he called for enhancing defence ties.
"Pakistan was interested in the production of
defence-related equipment and setting up of local overhauling
facilities, and invited the Chinese companies to invest for
joint ventures in this regard," Gilani said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win