Pak men married mentally-ill UK brides to avoid deportation
London: Two Pakistani men reportedly married mentally-impaired British women in Muslim ceremonies to avoid deportation from Britain.
Senior judges at London`s High Court revealed the details of the two sham marriages conducted after refusal by the immigration authorities for further stay in UK, the Daily Express reports.
In the first case, the judge said that social workers were alerted when a woman in her late teens with learning difficulties began a relationship with a Pakistani student in his 20s.
Council officials and police had warned that the man might commit an offence because she was unlikely to have the legal capacity to agree to sex and marriage, but still they tied the knot 18 months ago, the report added.
The second case was about another Pakistani man, who married a woman in her 30s six weeks after his bid to stay was refused by immigration authorities.
An informant also claimed that the woman`s father received 20,000 pounds in consideration of the nuptials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends