Pak military has a very strong role in policy: Holbrooke
Washington: Pakistan Army has a very strong
role in the country`s policy, despite restoration of
democratic rule in the country, a top US envoy has said.
"....The military in Pakistan has a very strong role in
policy, which is traditional. Whether one likes it or not,
it`s part of it," the Special US Representative for Pakistan
and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke said in an interview.
The envoy`s comments come as the Pakistan`s Parliament is
in the process of passage of the crucial constitutional
amendment which will take away unlimited powers enjoyed by the
President Asif Ali Zardari.
Referring to the amendment in an interview with the MSNBC
Holbrooke said, it will restore the supremacy of Parliament
and reduce the powers of the President, which was the most
powerful post under the previous Musharraf regime.
He said by the constitutional amendment Pakistan will
return to the Prime Ministerial system.
Holbrooke who was present in number of meetings visiting
Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani had with Secretary
of State Hillary Clinton and other US leaders said the main
crisis facing Pakistan was the energy crisis and economic
"Those are big deals, and we`re trying to help them. One
of the most senior people at the White House, David Lipton, is
working on this overtime. We have just had the Pakistanis
here. Secretary (of State, Hillary) Clinton will be working
very deeply on this," the envoy said.
During his meeting with Clinton and Holbrooke, the
Pakistani Prime Minister urged them to fast-track the funding
process for undertaking the up gradation of existing power
generation and transmission infrastructure to help overcome
power shortages in Pakistan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO