Pak-origin UK politician faces inquiry for misusing funds
London: Pak-origin British politician Baroness Warsi is facing calls for a police investigation into her Parliamentary expenses for reportedly misusing taxpayers` funds.
The Conservative Party co-chairman had claimed up to 2000 pounds, 165.50 pounds for a night, while staying at a London house belonging to Dr Wafik Moustafa, a Conservative donor and activist, for free, The Telegraph reports.
Warsi has, however, said that she was entitled to the expenses as she had made a payment to her political aide, Naweed Khan, when they both had stayed at Moustafa`s house as non-paying guests.
However, Moustafa said that he had not received any money, adding that he was disgusted that Warsi had claimed taxpayers` money when he had simply helped the two party members by offering them free hospitality.
Lord Oakeshott, a leading Liberal Democrat peer, also called on Warsi to refer herself to the standards watchdog of the House of Lords
Senior Conservatives said the controversy was embarrassing, but insisted that Warsi, who is understood to be on official business in Malaysia, had done nothing wrong and would co-operate with any inquiries.
The disputed expenses date back to early 2008, just months after Warsi entered the House of Lords.
Warsi has admitted that she failed to declare up to 18,000 pounds a year of her income from rental property in Wembley to the Lords.
Scotland Yard has said that it is yet to receive an official complaint about Warsi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital