Pak prosecutors withdraw plea seeking Kasab`s fugitive status
Lahore: Pakistani prosecutors on Thursday
withdrew a petition they had filed in the Lahore High Court to
declare Ajmal Kasab and Fahim Ansari as "proclaimed offenders"
or fugitives in connection with the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks
Prosecutors representing the Federal Investigation
Agency withdrew the review petition on the orders of a High
Court bench comprising Justices Sheikh Rauf and Ijazul Hasan.
The bench observed that Kasab had been given the death
sentence in India for his role in the attacks and questioned
how he could be brought to Pakistan for trial.
The FIA`s petition, filed last year, has held up the
trial of seven Pakistani suspects charged with involvement in
the Mumbai attacks by an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi.
The FIA had wanted the trial of Kasab and Ansari to be
separated from that of the seven suspects, including
Lashker-e-Taiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.
After the anti-terrorism court rejected the FIA’s
request to declare Kasab and Ansari as proclaimed offenders,
the agency had approached the Lahore High Court.
The anti-terrorism court has said it could not proceed
with the trial of the seven suspects till the High Court gave
its verdict on the FIA`s petition.
During today`s proceedings in the High Court, the
FIA`s lawyer again argued that the case of Kasab and Ansari
should be separated from that of the other seven accused.
The prosecution informed the High Court that the
anti-terrorism court had already issued arrest warrants for
Kasab and Ansari and thus they should be declared proclaimed
The High Court bench observed that if the
anti-terrorism court had issued arrest warrants for the duo,
it would be better if the prosecution pleaded its case there.
It then directed the FIA to withdraw its petition and
take its matter to the anti-terrorism court.
A member of the FIA`s team of prosecutors, who did not
want to be named, told PTI that the matter would be taken up
with the anti-terrorism court.
The next hearing in the trial of the seven accused is
scheduled for February 26.
Pakistani national Kasab was sentenced to death by a
court in Mumbai his role in the attacks on India’s financial
hub that killed 166 people in November 2008.
Ansari, an Indian national, was acquitted by the same
court but continues to be in custody in connection with other
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living