Pak SC grills cleric Qadri over Canadian citizenship
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Supreme Court today grilled cleric Tahir-ul-Qadri, who recently led a protest against the government, about his Canadian citizenship and the reasons for his petition seeking the reconstitution of the Election Commission.
A three-judge bench led by Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry repeatedly questioned Qadri`s locus standi in the matter of the composition of the Election Commission.
Qadri had contended in his petition that the poll panel was formed in an unconstitutional manner.
The bench directed Qadri, who heads the Minhaj-ul-Quran, to submit by tomorrow documents regarding his claims to be a stakeholder in Pakistan`s democratic system and the notification about his dual nationality.
The bench was hearing a constitutional petition filed by Qadri under a constitutional provision related to fundamental rights of citizens.
In his petition, Qadri wanted a declaration from the court against the composition of the Election Commission.
At the start of proceedings, the Chief Justice stopped Qadri from praising the judiciary and drew his attention towards his contentions.
Replying to a query from the bench, Qadri said he had applied for Canadian citizenship in 1997 and got it in 2005.
The Chief Justice asked Qadri whether a person who had acquired the nationality of another country could retain Pakistani nationality.
He reminded the cleric that when he got the citizenship of another country, he showed allegiance to that country.
"Can the government of Pakistan, with all respect to you, allow such a person to retain its citizenship? the Chief Justice asked.
Such a person cannot be elected to parliament under Articles 62 and 63 of the Constitution, he added.
Qadri acknowledged he was not allowed to contest elections he said he could retain his Pakistani nationality.
He contended he had taken up an issue that was of general interest and could be heard by the apex court.
The bench then adjourned the matter till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon