Pak scribe kidnapped, tortured in Karachi
Islamabad/Karachi: A prominent Pakistani journalist was allegedly kidnapped and tortured by unidentified persons in Karachi.
"I was kidnapped, tortured & now forced to leave my Karachi. Will update," journalist A K Chishti tweeted.
Chishti, a Friday Times reporter, also uploaded his picture showing apparent injury marks on his head.
Chishti writes on counter-terrorism and national security.
Friday Times editor-in-chief Najam Sethi also tweeted, "Ali Chishti, my star Friday Times reporter in Karachi, was yesterday kidnapped and bruised by xxx goons who abused & threatened TFT & me too."
Other journalists have condemned the incident.
Omar R Quraishi of Express Tribune daily said the Sindh government needs to immediately investigate the abduction and torture of Chishti.
The incident comes at a time when law enforcement agencies led by the Rangers are set to launch a crackdown on criminal elements in the city.
Karachi, Pakistan`s largest city and commercial hub, has been plagued by sectarian violence and kidnappings for extortion.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had visited the port city earlier this week and had taken stock of the deteriorating law and order situation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday