‘Pakistan desires the stability of Afghanistan’
Islamabad: Pakistan boycotted the Bonn Conference to emphasise to the world community the importance of its sovereignty even though it wants peace and stability in Afghanistan, Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said on Monday.
The NATO air strike on two posts near the Afghan border on November 26, which killed 24 Pakistani soldiers, made it impossible for Pakistan to participate in the Bonn Conference, he said.
However, Pakistan has always desired the stability of Afghanistan, the new spokesperson added.
"Pakistan wants to see a peaceful Afghanistan but after the November 26 incident, in which NATO forces directly attacked the country`s sovereignty, it was impossible for us to participate in the Conference," he told state-run PTV.
"We had made a Joint Commission with Afghanistan to develop peace in the region and it is Pakistan`s utmost wish to see a result-oriented reconciliation process in
Afghanistan," Basit said.
Pakistan and other countries knew that peace in Afghanistan is important for the stability of the region and the world, he said.
Angered by the air strike, Pakistan closed all NATO supply routes and asked the US to vacate the Shamsi airbase, reportedly used by CIA-operated drones, by December 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!