Pakistan helped CIA find Osama: US official
Washington: The Pakistani intelligence services provided the United States with information that was helpful in learning more about the compound where Osama bin laden was killed, a US official said on Saturday.
"The Pakistanis didn`t provide any tips on bin laden, but they provided certain information that aided the United States in developing the American intelligence picture on the compound," said the official, who asked not to be identified.
"This was an American operation," the official added.
The official`s comment came in response to a Washington Post report today that said Pakistan`s intelligence service believes it deserves credit for helping US intelligence agencies to locate bin Laden`s hideout.
"The lead and the information actually came from us," an unnamed senior official with Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence Directorate (ISI) told The Post.
The al Qaeda founder and 9/11 mastermind was killed on May 2 last year in a secret US Navy SEAL operation in a walled-off compound in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad, north of the Pakistani capital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you