Pakistan rejects "fiefdom" allegations by Karzai
Islamabad: Pakistan on Tuesday rejected allegations by Afghan President Hamid Karzai that it was encouraging division of his country into "fiefdoms" by trying to sell a power sharing formula to help the Taliban gain control in certain areas.
"As is well known, this is not our policy to encourage any fissiparous tendencies. In fact, Pakistan has always supported a peaceful, stable and united Afghanistan," foreign office spokesman, Aizaz Chaudhry said.
"We are playing a constructive and positive role to facilitate an Afghan-led and Afghan-owned reconciliation process," he said.
Karzai said on Saturday while addressing a joint press conference with visiting British Prime Minister David Cameron that Pakistan and some other countries were trying to divide Afghanistan into fiefdoms favouring the Taliban.
The accusation came after Pakistan national security and foreign affairs advisor, Sartaj Aziz, reportedly told Afghan ambassador to Islamabad Umer Daudzai, that Kabul should hand over powers to Taliban in some provinces.
Afghan leaders frequently criticise Pakistan for siding with the Taliban rebels.
Pakistan says it believes in stability of its neighbour and supports the Afghan national reconciliation process.
Last month, Taliban opened their first ever political office in Doha in Gulf state of Qatar to hold talks with their opponents to end violence in Afghanistan ahead of planned withdrawal of US-led troops next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report