Pakistan safe haven for militants: McCain
Washington: The United States is
facing a determined enemy in Afghanistan, who have a "safe
haven in Pakistan", a top American Senator said on Sunday.
Senator John McCain, a member of the influential Senate
Armed Services Committee, said the American military is facing
a determined enemy in Afghanistan, underlining the need for a
tough military leadership in the restive country.
"It is very hard. It is very tough. We are facing a very
determined enemy that will stand and fight in some instances,
that are very adaptable, and obviously with safe havens in
Pakistan," the Arizona Senator told the ABC News in an
"The President described it in the campaign; this is a
good war and one that we have to win. I think he`ll hold to
that," he said, adding the military leadership in Afghanistan
should use the same aggressive approach that Gen David
Petraeus used successfully in Iraq.
Acknowledging that public opinion on Afghanistan is
slipping, McCain said opinion could be reversed. "I think you
need to see a reversal of these very alarming and disturbing
trends on attacks, casualties, areas of the country that the
Taliban has increased control of," he said.
"In other words, you need to see all of those things
reversed and on a significant downward slope. And I think we
can do that in a year to 18 months," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why