Pakistan seeks latest Chinese nuclear technology
Beijing: Pakistan is seeking the latest
Chinese technology to build over 1000 mw power nuclear reactor
being developed by China.
"Pakistan is in discussions with Chinese companies for
imports of the third-generation nuclear technology" Pakistan`s
minister of science and technology, Mir Changez Khan Jamali
The minister, who is in the country to attend Summer Davos
World Economic Forum in Dalian told state-run `China Daily`
that he hoped the latest technology can be acquired by
Pakistan in one or two years.
China has helped to build two reactors at Pakistan`s
Chashma nuclear power plant, both of which were that of second
generation technology, to produce over 300 mw of power.
China had also announced to build two more such plants
arguing that it has already informed the Nuclear Suppliers
Group, (NSG) about it.
China says it has committed to build it under the
International Atomic Energy Association, (IAEA), safety
But China apparently has a problem in extending the
technology as it`s own 1000 mw besides more power plants are
still being developed.
China has been building its own 1000 mw nuclear power
plants but with American, Japanese and French technologies and
cannot export them without permission from those countries.
According to the daily, China is developing its first
domestic third-generation nuclear reactor the CAP 1400,
which is based on Westinghouse Electric Co`s AP1000
pressurized water reactor, and it will boost the unit`s
generating capacity to 1,400 mw from 1,154 mw.
But preparations for the construction of the first CAP
1400 unit, which were due to start this year were delayed
after the Fukushima nuclear incident in March.
Following the Japanese nuclear leak, the Chinese
government announced that it would suspend approvals for
nuclear power stations and conduct full safety checks of all
nuclear projects, including those under construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you