Pakistan seeks latest Chinese nuclear technology
Beijing: Pakistan is seeking the latest
Chinese technology to build over 1000 mw power nuclear reactor
being developed by China.
"Pakistan is in discussions with Chinese companies for
imports of the third-generation nuclear technology" Pakistan`s
minister of science and technology, Mir Changez Khan Jamali
The minister, who is in the country to attend Summer Davos
World Economic Forum in Dalian told state-run `China Daily`
that he hoped the latest technology can be acquired by
Pakistan in one or two years.
China has helped to build two reactors at Pakistan`s
Chashma nuclear power plant, both of which were that of second
generation technology, to produce over 300 mw of power.
China had also announced to build two more such plants
arguing that it has already informed the Nuclear Suppliers
Group, (NSG) about it.
China says it has committed to build it under the
International Atomic Energy Association, (IAEA), safety
But China apparently has a problem in extending the
technology as it`s own 1000 mw besides more power plants are
still being developed.
China has been building its own 1000 mw nuclear power
plants but with American, Japanese and French technologies and
cannot export them without permission from those countries.
According to the daily, China is developing its first
domestic third-generation nuclear reactor the CAP 1400,
which is based on Westinghouse Electric Co`s AP1000
pressurized water reactor, and it will boost the unit`s
generating capacity to 1,400 mw from 1,154 mw.
But preparations for the construction of the first CAP
1400 unit, which were due to start this year were delayed
after the Fukushima nuclear incident in March.
Following the Japanese nuclear leak, the Chinese
government announced that it would suspend approvals for
nuclear power stations and conduct full safety checks of all
nuclear projects, including those under construction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city