Pakistani terror trainer behind Nairobi mall attack?
Islamabad: A Pakistani-origin man is believed to be the security and training chief of Al Qaeda linked Shahab group that carried out the horrific attack at an upscale Kenyan mall killing at least 59 people.
Abu Musa Mombasa, a Pakistani citizen, serves as Shabaab`s chief of security and training, the Long War Journal had said in a 2010 report.
Kenyan troops were locked in a fierce firefight with Somali militants inside the Nairobi shopping mall today, in a final push to end a siege that has left 59 dead, including two Indians, and wounded 200 others with an unknown number of hostages still being held.
Somalia`s Al Qaeda-inspired Shebab rebels said the carnage at the part Israeli-owned complex was in retaliation for Kenya`s military intervention in Somalia, where African Union troops are battling the Islamists.
Meanwhile, the Twitter account of Somalia`s Shabab rebels was suspended yesterday after they used the site to claim responsibility for the attack.
However, the group seems to have launched a new twitter account @HSM-PressOffice. The Shabab`s previous account, @HSMPress, was suspended in January after it posted photographs of a French commando they killed and threatened to execute Kenyan hostages.
Not to be deterred, they opened another account, @HSMPress1, but were again suspended earlier this month after threatening Somalia`s president.
The group had issued a series of messages on Twitter yesterday, claiming its fighters were behind an attack.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij