Pakistan`s AQ Khan doubts North Korea will use nukes
Islamabad: Disgraced scientist AQ Khan, the father of Pakistan`s nuclear programme, has said he doubts North Korea will explode an atomic device in its current face-off with the United States and South Korea.
Khan said he did not think the North Koreans are "trigger happy" and that the regime of Kim Jong Un is "not very stupid".
In a phone interview with Fox News, Khan said: "Oh, no, no, no, they (the North Koreans) are not very stupid...Few people blow it up and get hype, blow it against proportion."
He said North Korea was a "small country" and if the US "drops a single bomb, there won`t be any North Korea on the map of the world".
"The North Koreans know it very well and the Americans know it very well, but for sheer propaganda and publicity both play the game," he added.
North Korea`s last nuclear test was conducted on February 11 with miniaturised atomic bomb of about seven kilotons mounted on a Nodong missile.
Khan also acknowledged that Pakistan had collaborated in the past with North Korea on the development of nuclear weapons and missiles.
"Officially we had a programme with them...I went there twice...We had a missile programme," he said.
It has been widely reported that Khan visited North Korea over a dozen times to secure the design of the Nodong missile, which he reportedly renamed the Ghauri.
Khan was placed under house arrest in 2004 after he confessed on state-run television to running a secret nuclear proliferation ring that provided know-how and technology to countries like North Korea. In recent years, authorities have eased restrictions on Khan`s movements.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown