Pakistan`s China-made fighter jets to escort Li Keqiang`s plane
Islamabad: Six JF-17 Thunder jets of the Pakistan Air Force will escort Chinese Premier Li Keqiang`s aircraft when it enters Pakistani airspace tomorrow at the start of his two-day visit, symbolising the close links between the two sides in the defence and strategic sectors.
The JF-17s, developed and built jointly by China and Pakistan, will guide the special Air China Boeing 747 aircraft to Nur Khan airbase, where a 21-gun salute will mark Li’s arrival, officials said.
The JF-17s will fly past the airbase as Li will be received by President Asif Ali Zardari and caretaker Prime Minister Mir Hazar Khan Khoso, they said.
This is Li`s first visit to Pakistan since assuming office in March and a "warm welcome awaits him", said a statement from the Foreign Office.
The visit will focus on "broadening the horizons of multi-faceted ties" between the two countries.
Li`s visit is taking place at a time when Pakistan has elected new national and provincial assemblies and the PML-N party is set to form the new government.
During his stay in Islamabad, Li will hold talks with Zardari and Khoso.
Zardari will host a luncheon for Li to which the leaders of major political parties have been invited.
The Prime Minister will also host a banquet for his Chinese counterpart.
On the second day of his visit, PML-N chief and Prime Minister-designate Nawaz Sharif will meet Li.
The two countries will also sign several memoranda of understanding for cooperation in different fields.
Li will address the Senate on May 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'