`Palestine`s UNESCO membership reflects support`
Tehran: Iran has commended the decision of the UN Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) to grant the Palestinians a full membership while describing it as a sign of international support for their rights.
Iran`s Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast on Tuesday called on the US to be realistic on the Palestinian issue and not to stand against the "world opinion", Xinhua reported on Wednesday.
The ministry also asked the US and its allies not to cast full support for Israel as the "world opinion" considers that as a disgrace.
The Palestinian National Authority (PNA) won a full UNESCO membership in a vote on Monday at the organisation`s general conference in Paris.
A total of 107 UNESCO member countries voted for the PNA`s membership bid, while 14 countries, including the US and Israel, voted against it.
The voting made UNESCO the first UN agency accepting the PNA as a full member since Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas applied for a formal UN membership at the UN General Assembly in September.
The UN Security Council (UNSC) has decided to discuss the matter in November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah