Palestinian Authority is now `State of Palestine`
Jerusalem: After an overwhelming support from the UN General Assembly for its demand for statehood, the Palestinian Authority is officially adopting `State of Palestine` as its new name, with President Mahmoud Abbas ordering its use on all official documents.
Abbas officially signed his first decrees that bear the name of the State of Palestine yesterday, the official WAFA news agency reported.
According to a presidential decree, the `State of Palestine` will be used instead of the PNA in all official correspondence by all Palestinian embassies in countries which recognise Palestine.
He also ordered his government to replace the name on all official documents like passports, stamps etc.
The development came over a month after the UN General Assembly voted overwhelmingly to upgrade Palestinians` status to non-member observer state at the world body.
In a historic vote on November 29, a total of 138 nations voted in favour of the Palestinian proposal, in what was seen a diplomatic blow to the US and Israel, and a moral boost to the Palestinians` quest for an independent state.
As per the order, the Palestinian Interior Ministry will start issuing new passports and identity cards for Palestinians which will show the term State of Palestine in place of the Palestinian Authority, a report in the Gulf News said.
"There is no place for the PNA on our official documents anymore," an official was quoted as saying by the paper.
Yesterday, thousands of people took to the streets of Hamas-ruled Gaza to mark 48 years since the founding of Fatah, that was ousted from power in the occupied strip in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter