`Palestinian envoy to Prague tried to open safe sealed for 20 years`
Zee Media Bureau
Prague: The death of Palestinian envoy to Czech Republic is said to have taken place by an accidental explosion when the diplomat tried to open a high-security safe in his home in Prague`s Suchdol district, say police.
57-year old diplomat Jamal al Jamal died few hours after being taken to Prague Military Hospital after the explosion.
The explosion was triggered by “dangerous or unqualified manipulation” of the safe by the envoy himself, Prague Police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulova said according to reports.
"The explosive device was probably part of the safety mechanism of the safe," added the police.
According to the report by a leading international news agency, the blast hat Mr Jamal tried to open , hadn`t been opened for 20 years, said officials.
"The safe was sitting neglected in one of the areas of the old embassy. No-one had touched it for 20 to 25 years," Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki told a news agency.
The explosion also harmed the 52-year old wife of the diplomat who suffered shock and inhaled smoke. She was then taken to Motol hospital.
The blast which too place at the two-storey apartment of the diplomat, did not harm his son, who was also in the house at the time of the explosion.
The safe had been moved from the old diplomatic mission to the new two-story house, that was being furnished to act as the new diplomatic mission, said the Palestinian Foreign Ministry.
Palestine will send a high-level delegation to Prague to assist the investigation to find out the cause behind the explosion, said the ministry in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary