`Palestinian envoy to Prague tried to open safe sealed for 20 years`
Zee Media Bureau
Prague: The death of Palestinian envoy to Czech Republic is said to have taken place by an accidental explosion when the diplomat tried to open a high-security safe in his home in Prague`s Suchdol district, say police.
57-year old diplomat Jamal al Jamal died few hours after being taken to Prague Military Hospital after the explosion.
The explosion was triggered by “dangerous or unqualified manipulation” of the safe by the envoy himself, Prague Police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulova said according to reports.
"The explosive device was probably part of the safety mechanism of the safe," added the police.
According to the report by a leading international news agency, the blast hat Mr Jamal tried to open , hadn`t been opened for 20 years, said officials.
"The safe was sitting neglected in one of the areas of the old embassy. No-one had touched it for 20 to 25 years," Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki told a news agency.
The explosion also harmed the 52-year old wife of the diplomat who suffered shock and inhaled smoke. She was then taken to Motol hospital.
The blast which too place at the two-storey apartment of the diplomat, did not harm his son, who was also in the house at the time of the explosion.
The safe had been moved from the old diplomatic mission to the new two-story house, that was being furnished to act as the new diplomatic mission, said the Palestinian Foreign Ministry.
Palestine will send a high-level delegation to Prague to assist the investigation to find out the cause behind the explosion, said the ministry in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing