`Palestinian envoy to Prague tried to open safe sealed for 20 years`
Zee Media Bureau
Prague: The death of Palestinian envoy to Czech Republic is said to have taken place by an accidental explosion when the diplomat tried to open a high-security safe in his home in Prague`s Suchdol district, say police.
57-year old diplomat Jamal al Jamal died few hours after being taken to Prague Military Hospital after the explosion.
The explosion was triggered by “dangerous or unqualified manipulation” of the safe by the envoy himself, Prague Police spokeswoman Andrea Zoulova said according to reports.
"The explosive device was probably part of the safety mechanism of the safe," added the police.
According to the report by a leading international news agency, the blast hat Mr Jamal tried to open , hadn`t been opened for 20 years, said officials.
"The safe was sitting neglected in one of the areas of the old embassy. No-one had touched it for 20 to 25 years," Palestinian Foreign Minister Riad Malki told a news agency.
The explosion also harmed the 52-year old wife of the diplomat who suffered shock and inhaled smoke. She was then taken to Motol hospital.
The blast which too place at the two-storey apartment of the diplomat, did not harm his son, who was also in the house at the time of the explosion.
The safe had been moved from the old diplomatic mission to the new two-story house, that was being furnished to act as the new diplomatic mission, said the Palestinian Foreign Ministry.
Palestine will send a high-level delegation to Prague to assist the investigation to find out the cause behind the explosion, said the ministry in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details
- Samsung's 1st Tizen powered 4G smartphone Z2 launched at Rs 4,590; comes with free Jio SIM
- All-new Hyundai Elantra launched in India, price starts at Rs 12.99 lakh