Palestinian government takes oath for a second time
Ramallah: The Palestinian government was sworn-in on Thursday in the West Bank city of Ramallah, weeks after caretaker prime minister Rami Hamdallah agreed to take up the post permanently.
The Cabinet was unchanged from its line-up in June -- when it was first appointed -- but had to take the oath anew after a crisis later that month over what officials described as a "power struggle".
Hamdallah, who took over from predecessor Salam Fayyad and was sworn-in as premier on June 06, resigned two weeks later because of in-fighting between him and his two deputies.
But Palestinian President Mahmud Abbas asked Hamdallah to stay on as caretaker prime minister until a new premier could be appointed.
Abbas then asked Hamdallah, on August 13, to take up the post again permanently and form a new government within five weeks, which Hamdallah accepted.
Hamdallah`s two deputies at the centre of his decision to resign in June, Ziad Abu Amr and Mohammed Mustafa, retained their posts today.
His June 23 resignation was the second time in 10 weeks that a Palestinian prime minister had tendered his resignation over a power struggle.
In April, then premier Fayyad handed in his resignation following a power struggle with Abbas over the finance portfolio.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death