Palestinian killed in clash with Israel army: Police
Dura (Palestinian Territories): A Palestinian teenager was knocked down and killed by an Israeli military jeep during overnight clashes in a village in the southern West Bank, Palestinian police and witnesses said today.
The youth, 19-year-old Moataz Sharawna, died after being hit by the vehicle after several hours of clashes between stone throwers and troops which began at midnight in Dura, which lies just southwest of the city of Hebron, a police spokesman told AFP.
An Israel military spokeswoman confirmed an incident in the village, but said initial reports suggested soldiers had fired at a youth who had climbed onto a military vehicle.
"Overnight there was an activity in Dura village near Hebron and a group of Palestinians began hurling rocks at the security forces who were in the area," she told AFP, saying several people had begun climbing onto one of the army vehicles.
"(The soldiers) warned the suspects and used riot dispersal means, and finally they responded with fire towards one of the suspects who was on the vehicle," she said, without giving further details or confirming that anyone had been hit in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley