Palestinian leader wants US backing in UN proposal
Jerusalem: The Palestinian President says his new attempt to get the United Nations to condemn Israeli settlements was specifically designed to win US’ support.
The Palestinians have drafted a proposal and are lobbying for a Security Council resolution that would declare West Bank settlements illegal and an "obstacle to peace”.
The US has said it does not support the move. Israel says it is an attempt by the Palestinians to avoid negotiations.
President Mahmoud Abbas says the Palestinian draft used the "same words" as US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has in criticising settlements.
He says he "doesn`t see why" the US would veto the move.
Abbas spoke on Thursday in Brazil, which recently recognised the yet-nonexistent state of Palestine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore