Palestinian leader wants US backing in UN proposal
Jerusalem: The Palestinian President says his new attempt to get the United Nations to condemn Israeli settlements was specifically designed to win US’ support.
The Palestinians have drafted a proposal and are lobbying for a Security Council resolution that would declare West Bank settlements illegal and an "obstacle to peace”.
The US has said it does not support the move. Israel says it is an attempt by the Palestinians to avoid negotiations.
President Mahmoud Abbas says the Palestinian draft used the "same words" as US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has in criticising settlements.
He says he "doesn`t see why" the US would veto the move.
Abbas spoke on Thursday in Brazil, which recently recognised the yet-nonexistent state of Palestine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire