Palestinian PM Hamdallah submits resignation: Source
Ramallah: Palestinian prime minister Rami Hamdallah presented his resignation to president Mahmud Abbas on Thursday, just two weeks after he took office, a high-ranking government official told.
Hamdallah "presented his resignation in writing to the president following disagreements with his two deputies," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.
A separate government source confirmed Hamdallah had presented his resignation, citing a "power struggle".
It was not immediately clear whether Abbas was likely to accept the resignation of the highly respected academic who was named to the position on June 2 following the resignation of former premier Salam Fayyad.
A new government under Hamdallah`s leadership was sworn in on June 6, which included two deputy prime ministers, Ziad Abu Amr and Mohammed Mustafa.
Upon accepting the job, Hamdallah pledged that his administration would rule only for "a transitional period" until formation of a unity government comprising Abbas`s Fatah faction and the rival Hamas movement, which governs the Gaza Strip.
Fayyad himself resigned in mid-April after months of difficult relations with Abbas which hit a crisis over the resignation of finance minister Nabil Qassis, which the premier accepted but the president did not.
Mustafa, who heads the Palestine Investment Fund, was tipped as a possible successor to Fayyad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!