Palestinian policeman stabs Israeli soldier to death
Jerusalem: A Palestinian policeman stabbed and killed an Israeli soldier in the north of the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, the Army said, the first Israeli fatality this year in the Middle East conflict.
"The (soldier) was sitting in his vehicle with his window open when the terrorist pulled out a knife and stabbed him in the chest," an Army statement said.
After being stabbed the soldier tried to drive away but lost control of his jeep, the Army said.
A civilian security guard then ran over the attacker with his car, lightly wounding him, the statement said. Afterwards soldiers arrested the suspect.
The Army and Palestinian security officials identified the attacker as Mohammed al-Khatib, a police officer from a village near the West Bank town of Jenin.
Israeli troops later raided Khatib`s house "as part of the investigation”, the Army said.
The Army jeep, its interior soaked with blood, lay overturned in a ditch near the site of the attack, a major junction in the West Bank.
The soldier, identified as a member of Israel`s Druze minority, died on the way to hospital, the Army said.
"The IDF regards this incident with great severity, and will operate to bring all those involved in the attack to justice," the statement said.
Palestinian Prime Minister Salam Fayyad condemned the attack.
"We condemn this incident, which contradicts Palestinian national interests and Palestinian Authority efforts as well as commitments," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors