Palestinian Prez approves autopsy of Arafat
Ramallah: A top aide says Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has given his permission to exhume the remains of his predecessor, Yasser Arafat.
The decision came days after a Swiss institute found elevated traces of a radioactive agent reportedly on Arafat`s belongings, reviving speculation the legendary Palestinian leader was poisoned.
The institute said it needs to test Arafat`s remains for conclusive findings, and Abbas has said he is willing to allow an autopsy in principle.
Abbas aide Saeb Erekat said on Monday that Abbas has now given final approval, and is inviting the Swiss experts to test the remains. Erekat says "we are on the way to an autopsy."
Earlier, Arafat`s nephew said he does not believe further testing is needed. It was not clear whether the nephew would block an autopsy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply