Palestinian Prez approves autopsy of Arafat
Ramallah: A top aide says Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has given his permission to exhume the remains of his predecessor, Yasser Arafat.
The decision came days after a Swiss institute found elevated traces of a radioactive agent reportedly on Arafat`s belongings, reviving speculation the legendary Palestinian leader was poisoned.
The institute said it needs to test Arafat`s remains for conclusive findings, and Abbas has said he is willing to allow an autopsy in principle.
Abbas aide Saeb Erekat said on Monday that Abbas has now given final approval, and is inviting the Swiss experts to test the remains. Erekat says "we are on the way to an autopsy."
Earlier, Arafat`s nephew said he does not believe further testing is needed. It was not clear whether the nephew would block an autopsy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video