Palestinian Prez discusses peace process with US, Russia
Ramallah: Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday separately discussed the fate of the stalled Middle East peace process with US and Russian diplomats.
The Palestinian state-run news agency Wafa reported that Abbas held talks at his office in Ramallah first with US Consul General in Jerusalem Daniel Rubinstein, and then with the Russian diplomatic representative to the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) Sergi Kozlov, Xinhua reported.
"President Abbas discussed with the two official diplomats the recent developments in the Palestinian territories and the efforts to revive the stalled peace process between Israel and the Palestinians," said the report.
According to official Palestinian sources, Abbas` meetings with the two diplomats were to prepare for the upcoming visit of the US envoy to the Middle East George Mitchell.
A presidential statement praised Russia`s role in the peace process, saying: "Russia is an important active member of the international Quartet Committee, which also includes the United States, Europe and the United Nations."
"President Abbas reiterated the necessity of all parties` commitments to the signed agreements and the accurate implementation of the Roadmap plan for peace in the Middle East," said the presidential statement.
Senior Palestinian sources in Fatah party said there were intensive efforts involving Egypt to resume the stalled Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations.
The sources said in a press statement sent to Xinhua that efforts focus on presenting a package proposal and setting up a timetable for completing the negotiations on the final status issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city