Palestinian reconciliation back on the table
Jerusalem: A Palestinian official says the Palestinian President will meet with the leader of the militant Hamas movement next month to discuss uniting duelling governments in the West Bank and Gaza.
The meeting will be the first between President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas` Khaled Mashaal since they signed a surprise reconciliation agreement in May.
Amin Makboul, a senior official with Abbas` Fatah movement, said on Thursday the two will meet in Cairo. He gave no specific date.
The deal was already troubled by disputes that had undermined previous reconciliation efforts, such as who would control the Palestinian security forces and how to deal with Israel, whose existence Hamas rejects.
It further stalled over the statehood bid Abbas submitted to the United Nations last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player