Palestinian reconciliation back on the table
Jerusalem: A Palestinian official says the Palestinian President will meet with the leader of the militant Hamas movement next month to discuss uniting duelling governments in the West Bank and Gaza.
The meeting will be the first between President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas` Khaled Mashaal since they signed a surprise reconciliation agreement in May.
Amin Makboul, a senior official with Abbas` Fatah movement, said on Thursday the two will meet in Cairo. He gave no specific date.
The deal was already troubled by disputes that had undermined previous reconciliation efforts, such as who would control the Palestinian security forces and how to deal with Israel, whose existence Hamas rejects.
It further stalled over the statehood bid Abbas submitted to the United Nations last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert