Palestinian reconciliation back on the table
Jerusalem: A Palestinian official says the Palestinian President will meet with the leader of the militant Hamas movement next month to discuss uniting duelling governments in the West Bank and Gaza.
The meeting will be the first between President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas` Khaled Mashaal since they signed a surprise reconciliation agreement in May.
Amin Makboul, a senior official with Abbas` Fatah movement, said on Thursday the two will meet in Cairo. He gave no specific date.
The deal was already troubled by disputes that had undermined previous reconciliation efforts, such as who would control the Palestinian security forces and how to deal with Israel, whose existence Hamas rejects.
It further stalled over the statehood bid Abbas submitted to the United Nations last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya