Palestinian reconciliation back on the table
Jerusalem: A Palestinian official says the Palestinian President will meet with the leader of the militant Hamas movement next month to discuss uniting duelling governments in the West Bank and Gaza.
The meeting will be the first between President Mahmoud Abbas and Hamas` Khaled Mashaal since they signed a surprise reconciliation agreement in May.
Amin Makboul, a senior official with Abbas` Fatah movement, said on Thursday the two will meet in Cairo. He gave no specific date.
The deal was already troubled by disputes that had undermined previous reconciliation efforts, such as who would control the Palestinian security forces and how to deal with Israel, whose existence Hamas rejects.
It further stalled over the statehood bid Abbas submitted to the United Nations last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence