Palestinians clash with Israel security forces in West Bank
Hebron: Palestinians clashed with Israeli security forces in the West Bank city of Hebron on Friday in one of several skirmishes.
About 300 protesters chanted "Thousands of martyrs march to Jerusalem" and several hurled rocks at security forces who responded with tear gas.
In Dir Nizam, near Ramallah, about 100 Palestinians hurled rocks at soldiers, slightly injuring one, the military said.
An Army statement said three alleged rioters were arrested and taken for questioning. There were similar altercations at Bilin and Nilin, sites of weekly Palestinian protests against Israel`s West Bank "security barrier”.
Police were also on high alert in Jerusalem where authorities again prevented men under 50 from attending Friday prayers at the flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque compound.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said prayers at the compound passed without incident and Jerusalem was generally calm, although a few youngsters threw stones at police in Shuafat Palestinian refugee camp, on the edge of the city.
Eyewitnesses said undercover police detained six Palestinians there. Witnesses also reported sporadic clashes at nearby Qalandia and Issawiya.
Rosenfeld said no injuries were reported in any of the incidents.
An already charged atmosphere intensified this week as a rebuilt 17th-century synagogue was opened in the Jewish quarter of the Old City, a few hundred metres from compound.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP