Palestinians clash with Israel security forces in West Bank
Hebron: Palestinians clashed with Israeli security forces in the West Bank city of Hebron on Friday in one of several skirmishes.
About 300 protesters chanted "Thousands of martyrs march to Jerusalem" and several hurled rocks at security forces who responded with tear gas.
In Dir Nizam, near Ramallah, about 100 Palestinians hurled rocks at soldiers, slightly injuring one, the military said.
An Army statement said three alleged rioters were arrested and taken for questioning. There were similar altercations at Bilin and Nilin, sites of weekly Palestinian protests against Israel`s West Bank "security barrier”.
Police were also on high alert in Jerusalem where authorities again prevented men under 50 from attending Friday prayers at the flashpoint Al-Aqsa mosque compound.
Police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld said prayers at the compound passed without incident and Jerusalem was generally calm, although a few youngsters threw stones at police in Shuafat Palestinian refugee camp, on the edge of the city.
Eyewitnesses said undercover police detained six Palestinians there. Witnesses also reported sporadic clashes at nearby Qalandia and Issawiya.
Rosenfeld said no injuries were reported in any of the incidents.
An already charged atmosphere intensified this week as a rebuilt 17th-century synagogue was opened in the Jewish quarter of the Old City, a few hundred metres from compound.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- BSP leader Brajesh Pathak joins BJP
- Piaggio launches Aprilia SR 150 in India priced at Rs 65,000
- Family of killed Dalit youths, who died in 2012 Gujarat police firing, demand CBI probe
- Won't camouflage baby bump on screen: Kareena
- J&K unrest: Kashmiris are not stone-pelters, only few are disturbing peace, says Mehbooba Mufti