Palestinians condemn Israel`s interception of Gaza-bound Finnish boat
Gaza: A number of Palestinian officials and activists Saturday condemned Israel`s interception of a Gaza-bound Finnish boat and called for an urgent international intervention to end the Israeli blockade on the Gaza Strip which had lasted for more than five years.
Earlier Saturday, an Israeli army spokesperson said the Finnish-flagged Swedish ship "Estelle" was intercepted and seized when it was 30 miles away from Gaza shore, after the activists onboard the ship refused the Israeli instructions to stop sailing to the Gaza Strip, reported Xinhua.
The boat was taken to the Israeli seaport of Ashdod, according to Israeli media.
Noor Oudeh, spokeswoman of the Palestinian National Authority (PNA) told Xinhua that the PNA strongly condemned the Israeli interception of the Finnish boat which carried European activists, who wanted to go to Gaza to express solidarity and help end the Israeli siege imposed on the Gaza Strip.
"The Palestinian Authority always supports any solidarity with Gaza and opposes the illegal Israeli siege," said Oudeh.
The boat set sail from Sweden three months ago, having stopover in the ports of Norway, Spain, and Greece to pick up the activists and the aid to the Palestinians in Gaza.
Last week, Israel notified Finland that the boat will be stopped if it tried to enter Gaza`s waters.
Fawzi Barhoum, Islamic Hamas movement`s spokesman in Gaza, said in a statement that the Israeli attack on the Finnish boat and arresting the European activists "is clear piracy and a crime against humanity and against the Palestinian people".
"Israel is mounting its assaults on the Palestinians amid a complete international silence after the occupants tightened siege on the Gaza Strip," said Barhoum.
However, Israeli Radio quoted a high-ranking Israeli army source as saying that according to the UN resolutions, it is Israel`s right to intercept any ship that violates the blockade imposed on the Gaza Strip.
The source said that the Gaza Strip doesn`t suffer from any humanitarian crisis, adding that Israel is allowing all kinds of food products and all the needs of people in Gaza through the legal crossing of Kerem Shalom on the borders between Gaza Strip and Israel.
In 2008, several international ferries succeeded in docking at Gaza`s fishing harbour, a year after Israel imposed a strict ground and naval blockade in Gaza to isolate Hamas.
But following its major military offensive in 2008-2009 winter, Israel decided to ban all foreign ships from entering Gaza`s waters.
In 2010, Israeli commandos intercepted a Turkish flotilla bound for Gaza and killed nine pro-Palestinian Turks, straining the relations between Israel and Turkey. Following the standoff, Israel alleviated the overland closure, but kept the naval blockade tight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview