Palestinians criticize Democrats` Jerusalem stance
Ramallah: The Palestinians are criticizing the US Democratic Party`s decision to declare Jerusalem as the Israeli capital.
The Democrats yesterday restored language in the platform saying Jerusalem "is and will remain the capital of Israel." A day earlier, the language had been removed from the platform, prompting Republicans to question President Barack Obama`s support for Israel.
The language is at odds with US policy calling for the status of Jerusalem to be resolved through negotiations. Both Israel and the Palestinians claim east Jerusalem.
Nabil Abu Rdeneh, an aide to Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, said Thursday the Democrat`s decision might just be "election propoganda."
He said a failure to recognize the Palestinian claim to east Jerusalem will "destroy the peace process" and lead to "endless war."
Israeli officials declined comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mamata Banerjee wants West Bengal to be called ‘Bangla’: Report
- What a journey! Watch video that introduced US President Barack Obama at Democratic National Convention
- No newspapers, television for Arvind Kejriwal for 12 days in August - Know why
- Flood wrecks havoc in Bihar, Assam; more than 40 dead, lakhs affected
- Houthi rebels form Supreme Council to govern Yemen