Palestinians fight occupation with Israeli bills
Ramallah: Young Palestinian activists have
found a new medium to protest Israeli occupation: scrawling
anti-occupation slogans on the currency they share with the
The campaign, officially announced at a press
conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah today, aims to
peacefully express opposition to Israel`s occupation.
"What we care about in this campaign is to send a
message to the Israelis and to the whole world, regardless of
how many get our message, that says we want the occupation to
end," 23-year-old activist Dina Jaber said.
Activists are calling on people to write phrases,
including "Let`s end the occupation" and "Free Palestine" on
banknotes of the Israeli currency, the shekel, which is also
used throughout the West Bank and Gaza.
But the plan was not welcomed by everyone in
Palestinian society, with the Palestinian Banking Society
warning in a statement that defaced banknotes could lose their
"With all appreciation for the good intentions of the
organisers of this initiative, the society urges all citizens
to understand the negative impact the act could have on the
Palestinian economy," the institution said.
"We inform citizens that banks operating in Palestine
are unable to accept any banknote with a slogan written on it
because it will be unable to exchange those banknotes with
Organisers of the campaign said the objections ought
to be no obstacle, and urged those worried about their money
losing value to simply write the slogans on stickers that
could be removed from the banknotes if necessary.
Jaber said activists were convinced that the campaign
could send a powerful message to Israelis and foreigners.
"We monitor Israeli media and we think that our
message is beginning to be understood: We want to end the
occupation in a peaceful manner."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark