Palestinians not interested in talks: Israeli PM
Jerusalem: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu charged on Tuesday that the Palestinians have no interest
in restarting peace negotiations, suggesting that newly
resumed contacts between the sides are producing little
Israeli and Palestinian negotiators began meeting in
Jordan Jan. 3 in an attempt to find a formula to restart
formal negotiations. Israeli-Palestinian talks have been
stalled for more than three years over the issue of Israeli
"For the last three years, the Palestinians have refused
to enter negotiations, thinking they could impose
preconditions upon us," Netanyahu told Israeli lawmakers in a
closed parliamentary meeting.
"The Palestinian have no interest in entering peace talks.
I`m ready to travel now to Ramallah to start peace talks with
Abu Mazen, without preconditions. But the simple truth is that
Abu Mazen is not ready," he said. Abbas is widely known as Abu
Netanyahu`s comments were relayed by a meeting participant
who spoke on condition of anonymity because the meeting was
Abbas says the Palestinians will not resume talks unless
Israel stops building in the West Bank and east Jerusalem,
areas Israel captured in the 1967 war from Jordan and claimed
by the Palestinians as parts of their future state.
Abbas says continued growth in the settlements, now home
to some 500,000 Israelis, is a sign of bad faith by Israel.
Israel maintains that the issue of settlements would be
solved automatically once there are agreed-upon borders and
rejects any preconditions to negotiations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE