Palestinians say UN bid is last-ditch peace effort
Ramallah: A Palestinian spokeswoman says a bid to seek UN recognition of a state of Palestine in Israeli-occupied lands is a last-ditch attempt to rescue the troubled Mideast peace efforts.
Hanan Ashrawi, a senior official with the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, urged the US on Wednesday to drop its opposition to the bid, calling Washington`s stance "pathetic" and harmful to American interests in the Arab world.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is to ask the UN General Assembly on Thursday to recognize Palestine in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem, captured by Israel in 1967. Overwhelming approval is likely, while the US, Israel and a few others are opposed.
Ashrawi says the Palestinians withstood intense US pressure to drop the bid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'