Palestinians say UN bid is last-ditch peace effort
Ramallah: A Palestinian spokeswoman says a bid to seek UN recognition of a state of Palestine in Israeli-occupied lands is a last-ditch attempt to rescue the troubled Mideast peace efforts.
Hanan Ashrawi, a senior official with the Palestinian Liberation Organisation, urged the US on Wednesday to drop its opposition to the bid, calling Washington`s stance "pathetic" and harmful to American interests in the Arab world.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas is to ask the UN General Assembly on Thursday to recognize Palestine in the West Bank, Gaza and east Jerusalem, captured by Israel in 1967. Overwhelming approval is likely, while the US, Israel and a few others are opposed.
Ashrawi says the Palestinians withstood intense US pressure to drop the bid.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday